Powered by Blogger.

Trying to Kick the White Powder Habit (No, not that one!)

>> Thursday, January 24, 2013


Today my goal is to avoid white sugar and white flour.  It's amazing how many things have white sugar and flour in them! It's pretty easy to avoid these things when I'm cooking something from scratch, but when buying boxed or canned items, watch out! Here are a few sneaky names that  simple sugar goes by on ingredient lists:

  • glucose
  • fructose
  • monosaccharides
  • lactose
  • maltose
  • sucrose
  • raw sugar
  • brown sugar
  • beet sugar
  • cane sugar
  • confectioner's (powdered) sugar
  • molasses
  • turbinado
  • maple syrup
  • sugar cane syrup
  • cane juice
  • invert sugar
  • malt syrup
  • high fructose corn syrup                          
Reference: Fit Sugar

AHHHHH!!! How am I supposed to remember all of that?  Most likely, I won't.  But I just may bring a handy reference list to the grocery store next time. If I don't let it go in my cart, I won't have to worry about it when I'm eating at home.  Even better, maybe I'll just try to eat more fresh foods.



Here are some other names for white flour:

  • enriched flour
  • bread flour
  • bleached all-purpose flour

A good article with some interesting info: White Vs. Wheat

Flour....not so terribly hard to avoid.  But SUGAR is in everything.  I tried, but I know my day was not completely sugar free.  At least I'm more mindful of it now. Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP